Information for foreign-trained architects

(2151) Verified: 2010 09 28

Information on requirements to practise

The profession of architect is regulated in all provinces and territories in Canada. This means that, by law, no one can practise the profession of architect without a license. Provincial and territorial regulatory bodies of architects are responsible for setting the standards for entry into the profession and for issuing licenses to those who meet established standards of qualifications and practice. It is illegal to practise the profession or use the title of architect without being licensed as a full member in a provincial/territorial regulatory body.

Information on assessment of qualifications

Internationally-trained architects will need to contact the Canadian Architectural Certification Board to know how their educational qualifications would be assessed. Their address is as follows:

Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB)
710 - 1 Nicholas Street
Ottawa ON   K1N 7B7   Canada
Phone : 613-241-8399
Fax : 613-241-7991
Email : 
Broadly Experienced Foreign Architects (BEFA) 

This is the first step on the way to licensure, and it is mandatory to start the licensure/registration process in every province and territory in Canada. The assessment takes about three months from the date of submission of complete application.

The provincial and territorial associations are responsible for the next steps (internships and examinations) of the process. For all general information requests related to academic qualifications, you are invited to contact the CACB.

Once you know where you will settle and work, you should contact the appropriate provincial/territorial regulatory body for information on licensing procedures (see list below).

The Royal Architectural Institute of Canada also provides information for foreign-trained architects who wish to practise their profession in Canada.

You should note that if you are already licensed to practise your occupation in a province or territory of Canada, and later wish to work in a non-regulated occupation, employers may request that you provide them with a formal assessment of your academic credentials.

If that is the case, or if you wish to have your credentials assessed for a purpose other than practising a regulated occupation in Canada, you may consult our Fact Sheet No. 2, "Assessment and recognition of credentials for the purpose of employment in Canada" and contact an academic credential evaluation service. Although evaluation services offer expert advice on how qualifications obtained abroad compare with academic credentials obtained in Canada, their evaluations are advisory only and do not guarantee recognition of your qualifications for employment or certification purposes in Canada. Please note that evaluation services charge a fee for their assessments.

Other relevant information

For a general description of duties and employment requirements, you can refer to the information prepared by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada regarding:

Specific Provincial/Territorial Information

flechevertehaut.gif  List of provincial and territorial regulatory bodies


Alberta Association of Architects (AAA)
Duggan House, 10515 Saskatchewan Drive
Edmonton AB   T6E 4S1   Canada
Phone : 780-432-0224
Fax : 780-439-1431
Email : 

British Columbia

Architectural Institute of British Columbia (AIBC)
#100 - 440 Cambie Street
Vancouver BC   V6B 2N5   Canada
Phone : 604-683-8588
Phone (alternate): 1-800-667-0753
Fax : 604-683-8568
Fax (alternate): 1-800-661-2955
Email : 


Manitoba Association of Architects (MAA)
137 Bannatyne Avenue, 2nd flr.
Winnipeg MB   R3B 0R3   Canada
Phone : 204-925-4620
Fax : 204-925-4624
Email : 

New Brunswick

Architects' Association of New Brunswick (AANB)
P.O. Box 5093
Sussex NB   E4E 5L2   Canada
Phone : 506-433-5811
Fax : 506-432-1122
Email : 

Newfoundland and Labrador

Architects Licensing Board of Newfoundland and Labrador (ALBNL)
P.O. BOX 5204, 7 Downing Street
St. John's NL   A1C 5V5   Canada
Phone : 709-726-8550
Fax : 709-726-1549
Email : 
Newfoundland Association of Architects (NAA)
P.O. Box 5204
7 Downing Street
St. John's NL   A1C 5V5   Canada
Phone : 709-726-8550
Fax : 709-726-1549
Email : 

Northwest Territories

Northwest Territories Association of Architects
P.O. Box 1394
Yellowknife NT   XIA 2P1   Canada
Phone : 867-766-4216
Fax : 867-873-3654
Email : 

Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia Association of Architects (NSAA)
1359 Barrington St.
Halifax NS   B3J 1Y9   Canada
Phone : 902-423-7607
Fax : 902-425-7024
Email : 


Ontario Association of Architects (OAA)
111 Moatfield Drive
Don Mills ON   M3B 3L6   Canada
Phone : 416-449-6898
Phone (alternate): 1-800-565-2724
Fax : 416-449-5756
Email : 

Prince Edward Island

Architects Association of Prince Edward Island (AAPEI)
P.O. Box 1766
Charlottetown PE   C1A 7N4   Canada
Phone : 902-368-2300
Email : 


Ordre des architectes du Québec (OAQ)
1825, boul. René-Lévesque Ouest
Montréal QC   H3H 1R4   Canada
Phone : 514-937-6168
Phone (alternate): 1-800-599-6168
Fax : 514-933-0242
Email : 


Saskatchewan Association of Architects (SAA)
200-642 Broadway Avenue
Saskatoon SK   S7N 1A9   Canada
Phone : 306-242-0733
Fax : 306-664-2598 

The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC),
a unit of the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada (CMEC).

© 1990-2014 CICIC (All rights reserved)
Links to this site may be established without permission. Its contents may not be reproduced without prior authorization. Reproduction for commercial purposes is not permitted.

Follow us on social media:    

Subscribe to the InfoCICIC newsletter

Ask us a question