Information for foreign-trained tourism researchers

(4163) Verified: 2009 04 15

Information on requirements to practise

The profession of tourism researchers is not regulated in Canada. Tourism researchers provide market research, analysis, planning and marketing strategies/services for tourism-related businesses. Researchers are employed by governments, by private consulting/research firms or by professional associations. For a general description of duties and employment requirements for this occupation, you can refer to the information page on tourism researchers prepared by the Canadian Tourism Human Resource Council (CTHRC), a not-for-profit, government-funded sector council.

Canadian Tourism Human Resource Council (CTHRC)
151 Slater, Suite/Bureau 608
Ottawa ON   K1P 5H3   Canada
Phone : +1-613-231-6949
Email : 

You may want to take the Discover Tourism Quiz to see if you are suited for this occupation. Employers set the educational requirements as well as the levels of training and experience they expect of applicants.

emerit Products

emerit products are developed by the Canadian Tourism Human Resource Council (CTHRC) and include National Occupational Standards, Training Tools, and Certification for occupations in tourism. National Occupation Standards have been developed by the Canadian Tourism Human Resource Council (CTHRC) for tourism researchers.

For more information about emerit products related to this occupation, consult the information page on the emerit Web site, or contact an emerit representative.

emerit Tourism Training
Phone : +1-613-231-6949
Phone (alternate): 1-800-486-9158
Fax : +1-613-231-6853
Email : 

Once you know where you will settle and work in Canada, you may want to contact the appropriate local Tourism Human Resource Organization (see list below) for further assistance.

Information on assessment of qualifications

If you are asked or wish to have your credentials assessed before coming to Canada, you may contact an evaluation service and consult our Fact Sheet No. 2, "Assessment and recognition of credentials for the purpose of employment in Canada." Although the evaluation services offer expert advice on how qualifications obtained abroad compare with credentials obtained in a Canadian province or territory, the evaluation is advisory only and does not guarantee recognition of your qualifications for employment or certification purposes in Canada. Please note that they charge a fee for their services.

Other relevant sources of information

For a list of related job titles also used for this occupation, and a general description of duties and employment requirements, you can refer to the information prepared by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada regarding:

For additional information on the tourism industry in Canada, whether you are an employer or you are considering a career in that sector, you may want to explore the following link(s):

Specific Provincial/Territorial Information

 flechevertehaut.gif List of provincial/territorial Tourism Human Resource Organizations


Alberta Hotel & Lodging Association (AHLA)
2707 Ellwood Dr SW
Edmonton AB   T6X 0P7   Canada
Phone : 780-436-6112
Phone (alternate): 1-888-436-6112
Fax : 780-436-5404
Email : 

British Columbia

go2 - The resource for people in Tourism
Suite 450, One Bentall Centre,
505 Burrard Street, P.O. Box 59
Vancouver BC   V7X 1M3   Canada
Phone : 604-633-9787
Phone (alternate): 604-633-9798
Fax : 604-633-9796
Email : 


Manitoba Tourism Education Council (MTEC)
75 Scurfield Boulevard, Unit 3
Winnipeg MB   R3Y 1P6   Canada
Phone : 204-957-7437
Phone (alternate): 1-800-820-6832
Fax : 204-956-1700
Email : 

New Brunswick

Tourism Industry Association of New Brunswick (TIANB)
500 Beaverbrook Court
4th Floor, Suite 440/4e étage, bureau 440
Fredericton NB   E3B 5X4   Canada
Phone : 506-458-5646
Phone (alternate): 1-800-668-5313
Fax : 506-459-3634
Email : 

Newfoundland and Labrador

Hospitality Newfoundland and Labrador (HNL)
71 Goldstone Street (Suite 102)
St. John's NL   A1B 5C3   Canada
Phone : 709-722-2000
Phone (alternate): 1-800-563-0700
Fax : 709-722-8104
Email : 

Northwest Territories

Yukon Tourism Education Council (YTEC)
Suite C - 202 Strickland Street
Whitehorse YT   Y1A 2J8   Canada
Phone : 867-667-4733
Fax : 867-667-2668
Email : 

Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia Tourism Human Resource Council (NSTHRC)
2089 Maitland Street
Halifax NS   B3K 2Z8   Canada
Phone : 902-422-5853
Phone (alternate): 1-800-948-4267
Fax : 902-422-0184
Email : 


Ontario Tourism Education Corporation (OTEC)
Suite 300 - 21 Four Seasons Place
Toronto ON   M9B 6J8   Canada
Phone : 416-622-1975
Phone (alternate): 1-800-557-6832
Fax : 416-622-7476
Email : 

Prince Edward Island

Tourism Industry Association of Prince Edward Island (TIAPEI)
3rd Floor, 25 Queen Street, P.O. Box 2050
Charlottetown PE   C1A 7N7   Canada
Phone : 902-566-5008
Phone (alternate): 1-866-566-5008
Fax : 902-368-3605
Fax (alternate): 1-877-368-3605
Email : 


Conseil québécois des ressources humaines en tourisme (CQRHT)
2751, boulevard Jacques-Cartier Est, Bureau 200
Longueuil QC   J4N 1L7   Canada
Phone : 450-651-1099
Fax : 450-651-1567
Email : 


Saskatchewan Tourism Education Council (STEC)
202 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 102
Saskatoon SK   S7K 0k1   Canada
Phone : 306-933-5900
Phone (alternate): 1-800-331-1529
Fax : 306-933-6250
Email : 


Yukon Tourism Education Council (YTEC)
Suite C - 202 Strickland Street
Whitehorse YT   Y1A 2J8   Canada
Phone : 867-667-4733
Fax : 867-667-2668
Email : 

The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC),
a unit of the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada (CMEC).

© 1990-2014 CICIC (All rights reserved)
Links to this site may be established without permission. Its contents may not be reproduced without prior authorization. Reproduction for commercial purposes is not permitted.

Follow us on social media:    

Subscribe to the InfoCICIC newsletter

Ask us a question