Get information on returning to Canada to work

After completing your studies abroad, you may wish to settle in Canada to work.

Before selecting your educational institution outside Canada, you may wish to determine:
  • where you intend to settle in Canada after your studies;
  • whether your intended occupation is regulated in that province or territory of Canada;
  • who will be responsible for the recognition of your international academic credentials in Canada.

If your intended occupation is regulated, contact the regulatory body for your occupation in Canada. It may provide information on:
  • requirements necessary to practise;
  • the registration process for internationally trained individuals;
  • the recognition of similar credentials in the past;
  • academic mobility and whether there are existing agreements with institutions in your destination country.
If your intended occupation is non-regulated, contact:
  • the professional association related to your qualifications;
  • potential employers.
They may provide information on:
  • standard or typical employment requirements, such as holding particular credentials;
  • recognition of similar credentials in the past.

Use the Directory of Occupational Profiles to find this information.

Occupation name or NOC code:
Provinces and territories of Canada:

What is an “international” academic credential?

“International” or “foreign” academic credentials are those issued by an educational institution outside Canada.

Given the diversity of education systems around the world, international academic credentials are usually subject to an assessment process to verify the authenticity of your documents and the comparability to similar credentials issued in Canada's provinces and territories, as part of the admission process.

It is extremely difficult to obtain a guarantee that your international academic credentials will be accepted upon your return to Canada.

This underscores the importance of making an informed decision when selecting an educational institution outside Canada.

For more information, consult CICIC's resources on the mobility of qualified individuals and academic credential recognition.