Apply for a study permit

Before you begin the application process, you will have to provide the following:
  • a letter of acceptance from an educational institution in Canada;
  • proof of identity (citizens of certain countries may be required to provide biometric information in addition to paper documents);
  • proof of financial support;
  • a letter of explanation.

You may also be asked to provide other documentation such as medical or security information, as well as other country-specific requirements.

For more detailed information on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's requirements to obtain a study permit, visit their Web site.

You can apply for a study permit directly on-line or using a paper application. The processing of your application can take several weeks to several months, so it should be submitted as soon as possible. Check study-permit processing times here.

Planning to study in Quebec?

Obtaining a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) is required before applying for a permit to study in the province of Quebec.

For more information on obtaining this document, consult the Web site of the ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion du Québec (MIDI).

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada offices and visa application centres (VACs)

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has offices in Canada and in many countries around the world, which can be contacted in person, by email, by phone or other communication channels.

Visa officers at those locations can generally assist with:

  • giving information and answering questions about immigration programs to visit, study, or work in Canada;
  • completing visa applications for the immigration program you have selected.

Visa application centres (VACs) are also available in countries/regions where there are few or no Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada visa offices.