Read user guidelines to use CICIC's tool box
Before using CICIC's tool box, and tools such as the EVALUATION listserv, please review the following information and guidelines.
Before sending a message using CICIC's tool box
As a first step, assessors should consult common resources such as the ones listed in CICIC's Assessor Portal. This could include:
- reviewing free or subscription-based country profiles;
- consulting other on-line or print resources;
- contacting the educational institution or professional body, national information centre, ministry of education, or other competent authority in the country in which the credential was issued; and
- searching the EVALUATION listserv archives.
Sending a message using CICIC's tool box
To send a general inquiry, use the EVALUATION listserv Web page or the e-mail address: evaluation@CICIC.CICDI.ca. Only registered members can send and receive messages through this service.
To help others answer your query, please include the following in your message:
- Use a precise subject line and indicate clearly and concisely the purpose your message.
- Be specific about the credential you are assessing. Where possible, please provide:
- name of the country where the credential was issued;
- name of the issuing educational institution or professional organization ;
- type of credential (academic credential, professional qualification);
- title of the credential in the original language (exactly as shown on the document);
- name of the academic program or field of study;
- date of study completion and/or issuance of the document.
- Indicate whether there is a specific purpose for the assessment and recognition process you are undertaking (e.g., university or college admission, certification in a regulated profession or trade, immigration, etc.).
- Let your colleagues know which resources you have already checked. This will save them time in answering.
- Provide an e-mail signature with your name, organization, and contact details.
Surveying registered members
If you are using the listserv to ask a question about practices in different organizations, please ask members to send their responses directly to you. Make sure to send a compilation of the responses you receive to the EVALUATION listserv, as this will benefit all current and future listserv members.
Because some IT systems will reject e-mail messages with attachments, you may wish to send your message without any attachments at first, and ask registered members to contact you directly to obtain a copy of the documents.
If you are attaching a copy of a credential, PLEASE ENSURE THAT ALL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION IS REMOVED, including names, file or student numbers, addresses, etc., in accordance with privacy legislation. And make sure that all attachments sent are under 3MB.
Responding to messages
When you reply to a message, your message will, by default, go out to all registered members through an automated system of e-mail notifications. This is useful for allowing all members to follow the evolution of a particular inquiry and may assist in future questions through searching the archives.
Receiving automated notifications
As a registered member of this on-line service, you will receive various notifications, most of them triggered automatically by user discussions. These notifications are sent automatically by CICIC's information systems.
We recommend that you:
- create a specific folder in your e-mail inbox;
- set up a rule to redirect all incoming notifications into this new folder, with the following subject: [ CICIC's tool box ];
- adjust your settings and notification preferences, if necessary.
Searching the archives of the EVALUATION listserv
You can access the EVALUATION listserv's archives via CICIC's tool box.
Contacting members of CICIC's tool box directly
In some cases, you may wish to contact a colleague who has specific expertise in the type of credential you are assessing. For this purpose, CICIC shares the list community members who are currently registered to CICIC's tool box and their areas of expertise. Using this service, you are able to send a private direct message to this user's e-mail address. Your message is strictly private and will not be visible to other users in the community.
If you notice that some of your colleagues don't appear on the list, you can send them an invitation to join the community on that same Web page.
Information on the issuing country's academic credential(s), education system, and comparability assessment outcomes reflect the views and practices of selected members of the pan-Canadian community of academic credential assessors. These are not meant to represent the views and practices of the community of academic credential assessors as a whole. The intent of these comparability assessments is to build on one of the many reference tools used by academic credential assessors and organizations to help determine the comparability of a credential within a particular context. Similarly to other such reference tools, the content of this directory may no longer be accurate and representative of the current environment.
Comparability assessment outcomes and other information provided are not endorsed by the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC), the Corporation of the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada (CCMEC), provincial/territorial and federal jurisdictions, participating community members, nor by any other competent authorities in or outside Canada. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their organizations, of CCMEC, or of CICIC. CICIC and CCMEC accept no liability for the content of the information provided or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided.
The information published in CICIC's tool box is confidential; it is intended solely for, and is accessible solely by, authorized members. It is strictly forbidden to share any of the information contained therein, either digitally or in print, with non-members. Authorized members should not disseminate, distribute, or copy this information. If you are not the intended viewer, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any action that relies on this information is strictly prohibited. In addition, members are expressly barred from making defamatory statements within the discussion forums of CICIC's tool box. CICIC reserves the right to terminate membership and restrict access to its on-line tool box at any time.