Information for foreign-trained audiologists and speech-language pathologists

(3141) Verified: 2010 08 16

Information on requirements to practise

The academic and clinical training and scope of practice for the professions of speech-language pathology and audiology are distinctly different in Canada. The speech-language and audiology health professions (audiologists and speech-language pathologists) are regulated in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Ontario, Quebec, and Saskatchewan, where it is illegal to practise without being registered as a full member in the appropriate provincial regulatory body.

The provincial regulatory bodies are responsible for setting the standards for entry into the professions in the regulated provinces, and requirements may vary from one province to another; but once licensed, there should not be barriers to licensing in another regulated province. Therefore, you should contact the appropriate regulatory body (see list below) for more information, once you know where you want to settle and work in Canada. If you do not know where you want to live, you should contact the Canadian Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (CASLPA) for more information. CASLPA usually performs the assessment of foreign-trained audiologists and speech-language pathologists.

Some employers may require CASLPA certification and membership in a provincial/territorial association. You can obtain more information about the CASLPA certification procedures from the association:

Canadian Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (CASLPA)
1 Nicholas Street, Suite 1000
Ottawa ON   K1N 7B7   Canada
Phone : 613-567-9968
Phone (alternate): 1-800-259-8519
Fax : 613-567-2859
Email : 

Information on assessment of qualifications

CASLPA and the regulatory bodies of audiologists and speech-language pathologists will provide information regarding procedures for assessing foreign credentials.

You should note that if you are already licensed to practise your occupation in a province or territory of Canada, and later wish to work in a non-regulated occupation, employers may request that you provide them with a formal assessment of your academic credentials.

If that is the case, or if you wish to have your credentials assessed for a purpose other than practising a regulated occupation in Canada, you may consult our Fact Sheet No. 2, "Assessment and recognition of credentials for the purpose of employment in Canada" and contact an academic credential evaluation service. Although evaluation services offer expert advice on how qualifications obtained abroad compare with academic credentials obtained in Canada, their evaluations are advisory only and do not guarantee recognition of your qualifications for employment or certification purposes in Canada. Please note that evaluation services charge a fee for their assessments.

Information on assessment for immigration purposes, under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is an immigration program administered by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), the department responsible for immigration to Canada.

CIC has listed this profession (NOC 3141) as an eligible occupation under the FSWP. To apply for immigration to Canada under this program, one of the requirements* is to obtain an “Educational Credential Assessment” (ECA) for immigration purposes from a CIC-designated organization. We invite you to communicate directly with one of the designated organizations to begin this process from outside Canada.

*It is important to note that this requirement is for immigration purposes only. It is separate from the process to obtain a license to practice from the relevant regulatory body listed below. Obtaining a license to practice is not required to apply for immigration.

Other relevant information

For a general description of duties and employment requirements, you can refer to the information prepared by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada regarding:

Specific Provincial/Territorial Information

flechevertehaut.gif List of regulatory bodies


Alberta College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (ACSLPA)
#209-3132 Parsons Road
Edmonton AB   T6N 1L6   Canada
Phone : 780-944-1609
Phone (alternate): 1-800-537-0589
Fax : 780-408-3925
Email : 

British Columbia

College of Speech and Hearing Health Professionals of British Columbia (CSHHPBC)
410 – 999 West Broadway
Vancouver BC   V5Z 1K5   Canada
Phone : 604-568-1568
Fax : 604-568-1566
Email : 


Manitoba Speech and Hearing Association (MSHA)
1 - 333 Vaughan Street
Winnipeg MB   R3B 3J9   Canada
Phone : 204-453-4539
Fax : 204-477-1881
Email : 

New Brunswick

New Brunswick Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (NBASLPA)
147 Ellerdale Avenue
Moncton NB   E1A 3M8   Canada
Phone : 506-858-1788
Phone (alternate): 1-877-751-5511
Fax : 506-854-0343
Email : 

Newfoundland and Labrador

College of Audiologists and Speech Language Pathologists of Newfoundland and Labrador (ASLP-NL)
Suite 435, Unit 50 Hamlyn Road Plaza
St. John's NL   A1E 5X7   Canada
Fax : 709-368-8830
Email : 
Newfoundland and Labrador Council of Health Professionals (NLCHP)
Suite 121, 510 Topsail Road
St. John's NL   A1E 2C2   Canada
Phone : 709-745-7304
Email : 


College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario (CASLPO)
3080 Yonge Street, Suite 5060
Toronto ON   M4N 3N1   Canada
Phone : 416-975-5347
Phone (alternate): 1-800-993-9459
Fax : 416-975-8394
Email : 


Ordre des orthophonistes et audiologistes du Québec (OOAQ)
235, René Lévesque est
Suite 601
Montréal QC   H2X 1N8   Canada
Phone : 514-282-9123
Phone (alternate): 1 888-232-9123
Fax : 514-282-9541
Email : 


Saskatchewan Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (SASLPA)
11 - 2010 7th Ave.
Regina SK   S4R 1C2   Canada
Phone : 306-757-3990
Phone (alternate): 1-866-757-3990
Fax : 306-757-3986
Email : 

The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC),
a unit of the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada (CMEC).

© 1990-2014 CICIC (All rights reserved)
Links to this site may be established without permission. Its contents may not be reproduced without prior authorization. Reproduction for commercial purposes is not permitted.

Follow us on social media:    

Subscribe to the InfoCICIC newsletter

Ask us a question