Information for foreign-trained dietitians and nutritionists

(3132) Verified: 2010 09 28

Information on requirements to practise

The profession of dietitian is regulated in Canada, which means that it is illegal to practise the profession or to use the title "dietitian" without being registered as a full member in a provincial college/association. Provincial colleges/associations of dietitians set the standards for entry into practice and register those who meet established standards of qualifications and practice experience. Therefore, once you know where you will settle and work in Canada, you should contact the appropriate provincial college/association for details on registration procedures (see list below).

Some dietitians call themselves "nutritionists," but the title Registered Nutritionist is protected only in Alberta, Quebec, and (as Registered Dietitian-Nutritionist) in New Brunswick. In the other provinces, "nutritionist" is an unprotected title that can be used by anyone to describe their involvement in a food-related practice.

Dietitians of Canada is the national professional association, providing member services for dietitians.

Information on assessment of qualifications

Foreign-trained and qualified dietitians and nutritionists should first contact the relevant provincial regulatory body, which can determine whether an assessment is needed and provide the assessment prior to your arrival in Canada.

Students who wish to complete an internship should contact the national organization, Dietitians of Canada, for information. Their address is as follows:

Dietitians of Canada (DC)
480 University Avenue, Suite 604
Toronto ON   M5G 1V2   Canada
Phone : 416-596-0857
Fax : 416-596-0603
Email : 

You should note that if you are already licensed to practise your occupation in a province or territory of Canada, and later wish to work in a non-regulated occupation, employers may request that you provide them with a formal assessment of your academic credentials.

If that is the case, or if you wish to have your credentials assessed for a purpose other than practising a regulated occupation in Canada, you may consult our Fact Sheet No. 2, "Assessment and recognition of credentials for the purpose of employment in Canada" and contact an academic credential evaluation service. Although evaluation services offer expert advice on how qualifications obtained abroad compare with academic credentials obtained in Canada, their evaluations are advisory only and do not guarantee recognition of your qualifications for employment or certification purposes in Canada. Please note that evaluation services charge a fee for their assessments.

Information on assessment for immigration purposes, under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is an immigration program administered by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), the department responsible for immigration to Canada.

CIC has listed this profession as a priority occupation under the FSWP. To apply for immigration to Canada under this program, one of the requirements* is to obtain an “Educational Credential Assessment” (ECA) for immigration purposes from a CIC-designated organization. We invite you to communicate directly with one of the designated organizations to begin this process from outside Canada.

*It is important to note that this requirement is for immigration purposes only. It is separate from the process to obtain a license to practice from the relevant regulatory body listed below. Obtaining a license to practice is not required to apply for immigration.

Other relevant information

For a general description of duties and employment requirements, you can refer to the information prepared by Human Resources Development Canada regarding:

Specific Provincial/Territorial Information

 toc / tdm List of provincial dietitian/nutritionist associations


College of Dietitians of Alberta (CDA)
740, 10707-100 Avenue
Edmonton AB   T5J 3M1   Canada
Phone : 780-448-0059
Phone (alternate): 1 866 493-4348
Fax : 780-489-7759
Email : 

British Columbia

College of Dietitians of British Columbia
1367 West Broadway, Suite 409
Vancouver BC   V6H 4A7   Canada
Phone : 604-736-2016
Phone (alternate): 1.877.736.2016
Fax : 604-736-2018
Email : 


College of Dietitians of Manitoba
36 - 1313 Border Street
Winnipeg MB   R3H 0X4   Canada
Phone : 204-694-0532
Phone (alternate): 1-866-283-2823
Fax : 204-889-1755
Email : 

New Brunswick

New Brunswick Association of Dietitians (NBAD)
530 Main Street
Woodstock NB   E7M 2C3   Canada
Phone : 506-324-9396
Fax : 506-328-2686
Email : 

Newfoundland and Labrador

Newfoundland and Labrador College of Dietitians (NLCD)
P.O. Box 1756, Stn. C
St. John's NL   A1C 5P5   Canada
Phone : 709-753-4040
Phone (alternate): 1-877-753-4040
Fax : 709-781-1044
Email : 

Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia Dietetic Association (NSDA)
212- 1496 Bedford Highway
Halifax NS   B4A 1E5   Canada
Phone : 902-835-0253
Fax : 902-835-0523
Email : 


College of Dietitians of Ontario (CDO)
5775 Yonge Street, Suite 1810, Box 30
Toronto ON   M2M 4J1   Canada
Phone : 416-598-1725
Phone (alternate): 1-800-668-4990
Fax : 416-598-0274
Email : 

Prince Edward Island

PEI Dietitians Registration Board
PO Box 152
Summerside PE   C1N 4Y8   Canada
Phone : 902-436-2438
Email : 


Ordre professionnel des diététistes du Québec (OPDQ)
2155, rue Guy, bureau 1220
Montréal QC   H3H 2R9   Canada
Phone : 514-393-3733
Phone (alternate): 1-888-393-8528
Fax : 514-393-3582
Email : 


Saskatchewan Dietitians Association (SDA)
17, 2010-7th Ave.
Regina SK   S4R 1C2   Canada
Phone : 306-359-3040
Fax : 306-359-3046
Email : 

The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC),
a unit of the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada (CMEC).

© 1990-2014 CICIC (All rights reserved)
Links to this site may be established without permission. Its contents may not be reproduced without prior authorization. Reproduction for commercial purposes is not permitted.

Follow us on social media:    

Subscribe to the InfoCICIC newsletter

Ask us a question