Information for foreign-trained translators, terminologists and interpreters

(5125) Verified: 2010 10 04

Information on requirements to practise

The professions of translator, conference interpreter and court interpreter are regulated in British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec, and New Brunswick. In the other Canadian provinces and territories, employers may also require applicants for these roles to be certified by provincial/territorial bodies belonging to the Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council (CTTIC).

All member bodies of the CTTIC are represented on the Board of Certification, which sets the standards for certification procedures, exercises overall control, and reports to the council. The examinations administered by the Board of Certification have included those for translators, conference interpreters, court interpreters, and terminologists. Successful completion of an examination or other certification procedure confers the status of certified member, which is portable among all member bodies. Your application for certification must be directed to the CTTIC member body in the province/territory (see list below) where you expect to settle and work. For more general information, you may contact the CTTIC at

Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council (CTTIC)
1 Nicholas Street, Suite 1202
Ottawa ON   K1N 7B7   Canada
Phone : 613-562-0379
Fax : 613-241-4098
Email : 

Information on assessment of qualifications

If you need to have your credentials assessed before coming to Canada, you may contact an evaluation service and consult our Fact Sheet No. 2, "Assessment and recognition of credentials for the purpose of employment in Canada." Although the evaluation services offer expert advice on how qualifications obtained abroad compare with credentials obtained in a Canadian province or territory, the evaluation is advisory only and does not guarantee recognition of your qualifications for employment or certification purposes in Canada. Please note that they charge a fee for their services.

Information on assessment for immigration purposes, under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is an immigration program administered by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), the department responsible for immigration to Canada.

CIC has listed this profession as a priority occupation under the FSWP. To apply for immigration to Canada under this program, one of the requirements* is to obtain an “Educational Credential Assessment” (ECA) for immigration purposes from a CIC-designated organization. We invite you to communicate directly with one of the designated organizations to begin this process from outside Canada.

*It is important to note that this requirement is for immigration purposes only. It is separate from the process to obtain a license to practice from the relevant regulatory body listed below. Obtaining a license to practice is not required to apply for immigration.

Other relevant information

For a general description of duties and employment requirements, you can refer to the information prepared by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada regarding

Specific Provincial/Territorial Information

 toc / tdm List of regulatory bodies

British Columbia

Society of Translators and Interpreters of British Columbia (Canada) (STIBC)
850 West Hastings Street, Suite 511
Vancouver BC   V6C 1E1   Canada
Phone : 604-684-2940
Fax : 604-684-2947
Email : 

New Brunswick

Corporation of Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters of New Brunswick (CTINB)
P.O. Box 427
Fredericton NB   E3B 4Z9   Canada
Phone : 506-458-1519
Email : 


Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO)
1 Nicholas Street, Suite 1202
Ottawa ON   K1N 7B7   Canada
Phone : 613-241-2846
Phone (alternate): 1-800-234-5030
Fax : 613-241-4098
Email : 


Ordre des traducteurs, terminologues et interprètes agréés du Québec (OTTIAQ)
2021, avenue Union, bureau 1108
Montréal QC   H3A 2S9   Canada
Phone : 514-845-4411
Phone (alternate): 1-800-265-4815
Fax : 514-845-9903
Email : 

 toc / tdm List of provincial and territorial associations


Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta (ATIA)
P.O. Box 546, Main Post Office
Edmonton AB   T5J 2K8   Canada
Phone : 403-434-8384
Phone (alternate): 1-888-434-2842 


Association of Translators and Interpreters of Manitoba (ATIM)
200 Ave. de la Cathédrale,
Box 83
Winnipeg MB   R2H 0H7   Canada
Phone : 204-797-3247
Email : 

Nova Scotia

Association of Translators and Interpreters of Nova Scotia (ATINS)
P.O. Box 372
Halifax NS   B3J 2P8   Canada
Email : 


Nunavut Interpreter/Translator Society (Nunattinni Katujjiqatigiit Tusaajinut)
P.O. Box 1617
Iqaluit NU   X0A 0H0   Canada
Phone : 867-979-7293
Fax : 867-979-7101
Email : 


Association of Translators and Interpreters of Saskatchewan (ATIS)
2341 Broad Street
Regina SK   S4P 1Y9   Canada
Phone : 306-522-2847 

The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC),
a unit of the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada (CMEC).

© 1990-2014 CICIC (All rights reserved)
Links to this site may be established without permission. Its contents may not be reproduced without prior authorization. Reproduction for commercial purposes is not permitted.

Follow us on social media:    

Subscribe to the InfoCICIC newsletter

Ask us a question