Information for foreign-trained mechanical engineering technologists and technicians

(2232) Verified: 2013 02 20

Information on requirements to practise

In Canada, the applied science or engineering technician and technologist professions and trades are not regulated; however, certification is often favoured and required by many employers. Full membership in a provincial association is required to use the titles of Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.), Applied Science Technologist (A.Sc.T.), Professional Technologist (PTech), or Certified Technician (CTech). In Quebec, membership in the professional association is required to use the title of technologue professionnel/Professional Technologist (TP), which is a "profession à titre réservé."

The provincial associations of CCTT (see list below) handle the certification procedures according to national standards.

The Canadian Technology Accreditation Board (CTAB) evaluates postsecondary programs of study in applied science and engineering technology. The board includes representatives from the provincial associations and societies, the Department of National Defence (DND), the Council of Registrars (COR), the Canadian Society for Chemical Technology (CSCT), and the National Council of Deans of Technology (NCDoT).

Information on assessment of qualifications

Internationally-trained individual can use the various resources below to learn how their academic credentials would be assessed within the Canadian context :

  1. The Canadian Technology Immigration Network (CTIN) provides assistance to technically trained immigrants prior to their arrival and after their landing in Canada to help increase their chances of employment, if they intend to work in their field of qualification.

  2. The International Qualifications Data Base (IQDB) is a database of applied science and engineering technology programs in over 70 countries around the world that have been assessed against Canadian academic criteria. You may use this resource to find out if the international program you have graduated from has already been assessed against Canadian academic standards.

  3. You can also perform an initial self-assessment to see how your education, skills and experience match Canadian requirements for certification.

If more precise information is required, please communicate with the :

Canadian Council of Technicians and Technologists (CCTT)
155-955 Green Valley Crescent
Ottawa ON   K2C 3V4   Canada
Phone : 613-238-8123
Phone (alternate): 1-800-891-1140
Fax : 613-238-8822
Email : 

The provincial and territorial associations (listed below) are not bound by the candidate's results using the various tools above, although they take them directly or indirectly into consideration in assessing candidates for certification purposes.

You should note that if you wish to work in another non-regulated occupation, employers may request that you provide them with a formal assessment of your academic credentials.

If that is the case, or if you wish to have your credentials assessed for a purpose other than practising as an applied science or engineering technician and technologist in Canada, you may consult our Fact Sheet No. 2, "Assessment and recognition of credentials for the purpose of employment in Canada" and contact an academic credential evaluation service. Although evaluation services offer expert advice on how qualifications obtained abroad compare with academic credentials obtained in Canada, their evaluations are advisory only and do not guarantee recognition of your qualifications for employment or certification purposes in Canada. Please note that evaluation services charge a fee for their assessments.

    Information on assessment for immigration purposes, under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

    The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is an immigration program administered by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), the department responsible for immigration to Canada.

    CIC has recently published a list of priority occupations under the FSWP. To apply for immigration to Canada under this program, one of the requirements* is to obtain an “Educational Credential Assessment” (ECA) for immigration purposes from a CIC-designated organization. We invite you to communicate directly with one of the designated organizations to begin this process from outside Canada.

    *It is important to note that this requirement is for immigration purposes only. It is separate from the process to obtain a license to practice from the relevant regulatory body listed below. Obtaining a license to practice is not required to apply for immigration.

    Other relevant information

    Other Engineering and Applied Science Technology Occupational Profiles
    1. Architectural and Building Technology
    2. Bioscience Technology
    3. Chemical Engineering Technology
    4. Civil Engineering Technology
    5. Electrical Engineering Technology
    6. Electronics Engineering Technology
    7. Environmental Technology
    8. Forestry Technology
    9. Geomatics Technology
    10. Industrial Engineering Technology
    11. Information Technology (IT)
    12. Instrumentation Technology
    13. Mechanical Engineering Technology
    14. Mineral Resources Technology (Mining)
    15. Petroleum Engineering Technology
    16. Renewable Resources Technology

    For a general description of duties and employment requirements, you can refer to the information prepared by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada regarding:

    Specific provincial/territorial information

    flechevertehaut.gif  List of provincial associations


    Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET)
    1630 - 10020 101A Avenue
    Edmonton AB   T5J 3G2   Canada
    Phone : 780-425-0626
    Phone (alternate): 1-800-272-5619
    Fax : 780-424-5053
    Email : 

    British Columbia

    Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia (ASTTBC)
    10767-148th Street
    Surrey BC   V3R 0S4   Canada
    Phone : 604-585-2788
    Fax : 604-585-2790
    Email : 


    Certified Technicians and Technologists Association of Manitoba, Inc. (CTTAM)
    602-1661 Portage Avenue
    Winnipeg MB   R3J 3T7   Canada
    Phone : 204-784-1088
    Fax : 204-784-1084
    Email : 

    New Brunswick

    New Brunswick Society of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (NBSCETT)
    2-385 Wilsey Road
    Fredericton NB   E3B 5N6   Canada
    Phone : 506-454-6124
    Phone (alternate): 1-800-665-8324
    Fax : 506-452-7076
    Email : 

    Newfoundland and Labrador

    Association of Engineering Technicians and Technologists of Newfoundland & Labrador (AETTNL)
    P.O. Box 790, 22 Sagona Ave., Donovan's Industrial Park
    Mount Pearl NL   A1N 2Y2   Canada
    Phone : 709-747-2868
    Phone (alternate): 1-888-238-8600
    Fax : 709-747-2869
    Email : 

    Nova Scotia

    Society of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists of Nova Scotia (TechNova)
    202 Brownlow Avenue, Cambridge 1, Suite A308
    Dartmouth NS   B3B 1T5   Canada
    Phone : 902-463-3236
    Phone (alternate): 1-866-723-8867
    Fax : 902-465-7567
    Email : 


    Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT)
    10 Four Seasons Place, Suite 404
    Toronto ON   M9B 6H7   Canada
    Phone : 416-621-9621
    Fax : 416-621-8694
    Email : 

    Prince Edward Island

    Island Technology Professionals formerly Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists of Prince Edward Island (ITP)
    P.O. Box 1436, 92 Queen St.
    Charlottetown PE   C1A 7N1   Canada
    Phone : 902-892-8324
    Fax : 902-566-9214
    Email : 


    Ordre des technologues professionnels du Québec (OTPQ)
    1265, rue Berri, bureau 720
    Montréal QC   H2L 4X4   Canada
    Phone : 514-845-3247
    Phone (alternate): 1-800-561-3459
    Fax : 514-845-3643
    Email : 


    Saskatchewan Applied Science Technologists and Technicians (SASTT)
    363 Park Street
    Regina SK   S4N 5B2   Canada
    Phone : 306-721-6633
    Fax : 306-721-0112
    Email : 

    The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC),
    a unit of the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada (CMEC).

    © 1990-2014 CICIC (All rights reserved)
    Links to this site may be established without permission. Its contents may not be reproduced without prior authorization. Reproduction for commercial purposes is not permitted.

    Follow us on social media:    

    Subscribe to the InfoCICIC newsletter

    Ask us a question