Information for foreign-trained financial and investment analysts

(1112) Verified: 2010 09 25

Information on requirements to practise

The occupation of analyst in the fields of finance and investment is not regulated in legislation in Canada. Where an occupation is not regulated, employment is subject to demand, and qualifications requirements are set by individual employers. However, most employers require a bachelor's or master's degree in business administration, economics, or finance as well as the designation of Chartered Financial Analyst(R) (CFA(R)).

The CFA credential is available through a self-study program and a series of three exams conducted by CFA Institute. The CFA program is a graduate-level, curriculum and examination program for investment professionals -- especially securities analysts, money managers and investment advisors. Established in 1962, the CFA program sets the global standard for investment knowledge, standards and ethics. Earning the credential can serve as a "passport" for entry to or advancement within the profession or for work in other countries. It tells clients, employers and colleagues that the charterholder has mastered a rigorous curriculum covering a broad range of investment topics and is committed to the highest ethical standards in the profession.

CFA Institute is the global, non-profit professional association. It administers the CFA and CIPM curriculum and exam programs worldwide, publishes, research, conducts professional development programs, and sets voluntary, ethics-based professional and performance-reporting standards for the investment industry. More information about CFA Institute may be found at

Information on assessment of qualifications

If you need to have your credentials assessed before coming to Canada, you may contact an evaluation service and consult our Fact Sheet No. 2, "Assessment and recognition of credentials for the purpose of employment in Canada." Although the evaluation services offer expert advice on how qualifications obtained abroad compare with credentials obtained in a Canadian province or territory, the evaluation is advisory only and does not guarantee recognition of your qualifications for employment or certification purposes in Canada. Please note that they charge a fee for their services.

Information on assessment for immigration purposes, under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is an immigration program administered by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), the department responsible for immigration to Canada.

CIC has listed this profession (NOC 1112) as a priority occupation under the FSWP. To apply for immigration to Canada under this program, one of the requirements* is to obtain an “Educational Credential Assessment” (ECA) for immigration purposes from a CIC-designated organization. We invite you to communicate directly with one of the designated organizations to begin this process from outside Canada.

*It is important to note that this requirement is for immigration purposes only. It is separate from the process to obtain a license to practice from the relevant regulatory body listed below. Obtaining a license to practice is not required to apply for immigration.

Other relevant information

For a general description of duties and employment requirements, you can refer to the information prepared by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada regarding

Specific Provincial/Territorial Information


You may also be interested in the CICIC information pages for

The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC),
a unit of the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada (CMEC).

© 1990-2014 CICIC (All rights reserved)
Links to this site may be established without permission. Its contents may not be reproduced without prior authorization. Reproduction for commercial purposes is not permitted.

Follow us on social media:    

Subscribe to the InfoCICIC newsletter

Ask us a question